[App_rpt-users] Connecting several sites together on a hub using link radios

mike at midnighteng.com mike at midnighteng.com
Fri Aug 26 12:39:31 UTC 2016

> Hi guys... I am in the midst of deploying a 5 site system. All of the sites
> with the exception of my own will be using link radios sitting on the
> repeater pair, some sites do not have internet access so this is the only
> option. Each node will be permalinked to our hub.
>
> What we discovered when we brought site number 3 online was the dreaded
> "ping-pong" effect, and I did some digging and found out about the
> rxondelay parameter, that seems to be the place to start with this.
>
> The other option we are considering is dropping the hang time off each
> repeater and using app_rpt to do hang time and courtesy tones instead
> (duplex = 1 instead of 0) but not sure that would work real well or be
> optimal.
>
> Anyone have any experience with a setup like this that can offer some
> advice? This is my first foray into this unfortunately, I've always just
> interfaced the radio or repeater directly to app_rpt in the past or through
> a controller so it's been a bit of a challenge.
>
> 73
> Stephen
> K1LNX
> options button"
> You do not need a password to unsubscribe, you can do it via email confirmation. If
> you have trouble unsubscribing, please send a message to the list detailing the
> problem.

I can only speak to the PING-PONG...
One or more of your systems are broadcasting past the rx cor into your network.
Can't say how to fix because of unknown set-up but that is where you need to look.
Setting the proper squelch type may be the answer.
First find the culprit systems allowing a cor into it past the valid cos.

This happens a lot when folks take a easy route to connect a echolink system
through a simple radio link to the repeater. Easy fix is a tone and tone
pass-through on the repeater and a tone squelch on the transceiver with the
echolink connection.
If both systems are not compliant with that, you still get PING and no PONG.
The network should "not" be listening to a repeater tail or anything past a cos.

Everything has to be playing by the same rules.
To find it, just follow the logic of what is exactly happening.
Network broadcast only on valid cor. Find the invalid cos into the tail.
Must be more than one if ping-pong.

...mike/kb8jnm