[App_rpt-users] Connecting several sites together on a hub using link radios

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Fri Aug 26 16:04:31 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 5:18 AM, David McGough <kb4fxc at inttek.net> wrote:
> possibility would be to have a Repeater transmitted PL tone directly
> follow the Repeater COS....Then, the simplex link radios would look for
> that PL tone.  If the Repeater's RX COS isn't active, no PL tone
> transmitted, and no ping-pong.

I picked this quote out because it's really the most important point
in this thread and was dismissed due to not having the right
controllers. This can be solved!

As Pete said:
> what you need to do is put the repeater in external mode (shorting a pin to ground) and then use the flat audio in and out on the db-15 connector in the back.
> there are pins for ptt and cos.
> A nice little RPI and a URI-X and you have yourself a first class controler for that repeater

And my recommendation is to not only use this for the controller, but
to use it for the link. I've deployed a ton of 5 GHz wireless ethernet
links with Ubiquiti and Mikrotik equipment. It works great between
high repeater sites with line of sight between them. This is almost
always cheaper than link radio + isolator + filters + hardline +
antenna and will give you a full-duplex link with out-of-band control.

Tom KD7LXL