[App_rpt-users] Connecting several sites together on a hub using link radios

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Fri Aug 26 17:14:11 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Stephen - K1LNX <k1lnx at k1lnx.net> wrote:
> I have considered this... but we have one site that has no internet access
> and a linking radio is the only option we have.

They make great standalone controllers. Add a second URI for the link radio.

> I am also worried about
> potential lockups of the repeater as these will be running in AMS mode. I
> think this has gotten corrected in the recent firmware release, but we do
> have one that has an older release and didn't want to take a chance on that.

There is a hardware watchdog you can enable. Any time the software
stops responding, the board will reboot.

http://blog.ricardoarturocabral.com/2013/01/auto-reboot-hung-raspberry-pi-using-on.html

> I do agree though, this is the optimal way to go. The only caveat I see with
> that is the potential for the digital hash to be fed into the USB interface
> and propagated across the network when the repeater is in C4FM mode.

If you use CTCSS instead of carrier squelch, this can be avoided.

Tom KD7LXL