[App_rpt-users] RTCM Simulcast question

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Mon Jun 6 16:44:56 UTC 2016

There is one thing everyone is missing in this discussion.  If the
intention of this oscillator is to be used in duplex service, be aware
that the Si series of products may not have the spectral purity for
duplex applications.  By spectral purity, I mean transmitter side band
noise.  Stability using GPS is likely easy, but making an oscillator
clean enough isn't always easy.

I say this because there has been a great deal of interest in making
programmable channel elements for older crystal radios using the Si
series.  These modules exist, but testing has shown that they don't have
the noise specification required for duplex operation.  This means it
may be more challenging or impossible to make them work in some duplex
applications.  Of course, this depends on how the OCXO/Si is used.  If
it were driving the loop reference of a free running on-frequency
oscillator, locked by PLL, then you'd have the best of all worlds  -
synthesized frequency reference, low transmitter side-band noise, and
the ability to modulate it.  Something similar to the GE MASTR II PLL
exciter and its operation could be considered.

Kevin Custer