[App_rpt-users] Motd for ssh ( Just a basic idea on whats going on server side..)

Loren Tedford lorentedford at gmail.com
Fri May 6 23:18:20 UTC 2016

I found this helpful with some of my allstar nodes.. Being able to see how
much space is left on the hard drive etc.. along with what the outside
temperatures roughly are.. Figured some of you might enjoy this..

Here is the forum post thread where i posted my original help section..
http://forum.kc9zhv.com/index.php/topic,293.0.html

Greetings I have decided to run a new MOTD type setup on my servers so I
can see whats going on with the server and a really quick basic weather
update..

Here is the original article where i had found the info.

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/pam_motd.html

Ok so here we go..

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install landscape-common weather-util
Now that we have installed the packages here is how to setup your local
weather to appear on the MOTD.

Code: [Select]
sudo nano /usr/local/bin/local-weather
So now to setup your weather information server side..
You can find the information here..
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/tg/siteloc.php
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
#
#
# Prints the local weather information for the MOTD.
#
#

# Replace KINT with your local weather station.
# Local stations can be found here: http://www.weather.gov/tg/siteloc.shtml
<-- This is old and out of date>

echo
weather -i KOLY
echo

Now you need to adjust permissions.
Code: [Select]
sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/local-weather
Now link the files to the correct places..
Code: [Select]
sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/local-weather /etc/update-motd.d/98-local-weather
If you wish to run a customized script to run the info with out exiting and
re-login into the server you can do this..

Now to create this I generally like to make sure i am back to where i
usually start out when joining into the server.
Code: [Select]
cd ~Now we are naming this file sinfo.sh <- you can name this what ever you
like..

Code: [Select]
nano sinfo.sh
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
run-parts --lsbsysinit /etc/update-motd.d 2>/dev/null

Now to run the command you will typ sh sinfo.sh

Here is an example of what it could show..

Code: [Select]
Welcome to Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.13.0-85-generic x86_64)

 * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/
Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS

server    :
ip        : 192.99.13.90
hostname  : server.lorentedford.com

  System information as of Fri May  6 18:13:25 CDT 2016

  System load:    0.57              Processes:           247
  Usage of /home: 12.2% of 1.71TB   Users logged in:     1
  Memory usage:   33%               IP address for eth0: 192.99.13.90
  Swap usage:     0%

  Graph this data and manage this system at:
    https://landscape.canonical.com/

Searching via station...
[caching result Olney-Noble, Olney-Noble Airport, IL, United States]
Current conditions at Olney-Noble, Olney-Noble Airport
Last updated May 06, 2016 - 06:55 PM EDT / 2016.05.06 2255 UTC
   Temperature: 71 F (22 C)
   Relative Humidity: 43%
   Wind: from the W (280 degrees) at 8 MPH (7 KT)
   Sky conditions: clear

loren at server:~$

[image: Modify message]
I hope this is useful to those of you that like to monitor system resources!

Loren Tedford (KC9ZHV)
Email: lorentedford at gmail.com
http://www.lorentedford.com
http://www.kc9zhv.com