[App_rpt-users] Allstar Node

Willem Schreuder willem at prinmath.com
Wed Dec 26 22:55:18 UTC 2018

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018, David McGough wrote:

> My primary concern is: Who is the Copyright owner NOW for all the various
> AllStar related modules and as of what date were they released GPL2?

The beauty of the GPL is that it is largely irrelevant who the copyright
holder is.  If you hold a GPL copyright, the ONLY power you have is that
you can ensure that the software remains open source.

By using the GPL you explicitly allow ANYBODY to use, modify, redistribute
or other make use of that code.  The only restriction is that in turn,
they also provide these modifications under the same terms.

The GPL does not view the world as a zero sum game.  It explicitly
recognizes that when we get the best ideas from everybody, we are all
better off.

So anybody could fork the ASL codebase, make it better or worse or change
it in any way that like.  The ONLY requirement is that you MUST release
the source.

If the only leverage that people who mean HAMVOIP ill has is the GPL, then
I would submit that you can undercut their ill intentions by releasing the
source.  Then you will have the high ground both legally and ethically.

I would argue that the superior technology will win out, regardless of
whether it is called AllStarLink or HAMVOIP or whatever name you choose.
As long as you comply with the GPL, there is nothing anybody can do to
prevent you from developing and expanding the technology.  Furthermore, it
give you the power to enforce compliance with the GPL for the components
you contribute.

And while it is undoubtedly true that other people will make use of the
clever things you contributed, people will know where it was pioneered and
others will be playing catchup as long as you keep improving your
implementation.  And there may be other clever things you could use and
improve on that others may invent.

I think I have made it clear that I am not naive about the political
machinations and I certainly don't condone the underhanded things that
have happened.

However, I cannot condone violation of the GPL as an appropriate response.

Dr. Willem A. Schreuder,  President,  Principia Mathematica
Address:  445 Union Blvd, Suite 230,  Lakewood, CO  80228, USA
Tel: (303) 716-3573   Fax: (303) 716-3575
WWW: www.prinmath.com   Email: Willem.Schreuder at prinmath.com