[App_rpt-users] U-Verse 5286AC software bug pushed recently (be aware)

Lu V luvencl8 at gmail.com
Sat May 19 00:07:48 UTC 2018

All,
I wanted to share something with you that happened to me last Friday that might affect a small number of you if you are a U-Verse customer with a 5286AC Residential Gateway and if you use your own router (DMZ traffic to your own router).
Last Friday, a software load (10.7.0.530220-att) was pushed to my RG, and the first thing that happened was my IPTV television service went down.  I did some digging and noticed that I still had internet connectivity and dial tone, but no IPTV connectivity on the VLAN for television services.  I ended up defaulting the RG and I got my TV back. I know one other ham that ran into issues last weekend when he got the push. So I know I am no the only one with this issue.
But then after I restored the DMZ setting back to my router (I use the USG gateway from UBNT) I discovered that my allstar service would not register.  Even though I could ping register.allstarlink.org  and other things on the network, something was interfering with the registration path.  If I take the DMZ out and let the USG obtain the local LAN address instead of the public address, it would start to work again.
There are also some other issues that came up that effected the DVR and also sluggishness with the STB’s when using DMZ mode..
So I just wanted to pass this along so in the slim chance you are using the same configuration that I am, you are aware of this issue.  Most don’t bother to use a separate router, but I do and prefer it that way.
I will be documenting and getting details to the right group in the meantime.  My previous version was 10.6.0.X.
By the way, this is a lesson learned for me as I really thought there was an allstar registration issue initially, and well lets just say I nagged some key people and I owe them a drink now, so don’t make the same mistake 😊. I never bothered to restart my RG as since I use my own router, I just didn’t think it would be relevant to the issue since it is supposed to pass ALL traffic to my router, and well as we can see now there are some obstacles.

73
KA4EPS