[App_rpt-users] Server uptime, distributed resources, etc.

Michael Wolthuis wolthuis at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 20:46:01 UTC 2018

Good afternoon,
Many of you were aware of many recent updates to the server infrastructure that runs the Allstar network as maintained by the core Allstar team.  Some of these updates did cause some issues around NAT that we do NOT need to relive.  I am one of the people who donates servers, bandwidth and storage space at my top tier datacenters.  My company is gracious enough to allow me research space that I have donated to the project directly to Jim and beyond.

Those recent updates worked really hard to make sure we had a distributed architecture!  We do NOT rely on a single location, a single datacenter, a single physical server.  The ORD (Chicago, IL) location of Allstar that the core team uses is actually made up of over 32 blade servers and the load even with-in the datacenter is distributed.

I just thought, given the recent weather issues across the US it would be important to note that this painful work (done by some very tired out people) was done for your benefit!  The network as designed using the core and original Allstar network systems is now redundant and distributed.  There is a core team of us who are Network Engineers and Data Center Engineers on the original team (going back to when Jim was alive) and we are doing this right!

To that point, as the goal is to be open and forth-right with information – please feel free to see the Public link to our network statistics and information:

https://grafana.allstarlink.org/

You as an end-user can now see the stats of the Allstar core infrastructure at any time!  Please know we continue to work on improvements, it was a LARGE project to get the legacy network to this point and now that those waters are settling you will begin to see advances.  We don’t run the back-end of this network lightly or on a Raspberry Pi :>

If you have questions, as always, the team is here to assist.  Please know there are many of us working behind the scenes to keep the Allstar network we all know and love running and online 24x7x365.

Feel free to email directly off-list if any questions need to be answered.  Want to help?  Use the donation link to send Allstar a donation (please note, my commercial company doesn’t request any fees).

Mike Wolthuis
KB8ZGL