[App_rpt-users] Is this list back?

Jeremy Utley jerutley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 04:10:43 UTC 2019

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 9:47 PM Joe Moskalski <kc2irv at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you ask 100 different people their opinion on how to do something you will inevitably receive 100 different answers. I don't chime in here too often but I do pay attention to what is going on. I can see the main reason why someone would like the "push" feature of a mailing list but just in my opinion, mailing lists are clunky and outdated. I am a member of many forums where you can be notified to new posts and replies to a new post exactly like a mailing list. So moving to a forum would be again, in MY opinion the better choice.

The problem with forums is, I don't want to be constantly getting
notifications of a new post.  My internet time is limited, so I want
those posts sitting in my mailbox until *I* choose to read them.
That's what a mailing list does that a web-based forum does not.

> With that said, I have noticed in other projects such as this one, this same breakdown. A person with a vision creates something great and when they are gone it goes to shit because of infighting. There are too many people in the ham community that are EXTREMELY unwilling to put forth any effort to help make something or keep something good going. It seems almost everyone just "wants it to work" and doesn't care how it gets done as long as someone else figures it out. My own lived experience is with my 3 site Allstar simulcast system, as some may know on here, I had a issue with PL transmit synchronization using the RTCM by micronode, but instead of whining about "why doesn't it just work" I solved the problem with some work and then freely shared everything I did with the public so they could do it too and I also helped others to get it working, along with that I could find no one willing to help me build the system here and wound up doing it all myself physically and financially. This illustrates my main point, that in order for this project to continue to exist people in this community we need to STOP pointing fingers and SUGGEST SOLUTIONS and put forward some effort and not just keep blaming people all the time. I won't take sides in this fight because I believe choosing a side causes you to put blinders on and it keeps you from see the full picture.

>From what I have seen, the "managers" do not *WANT* community
assistance!  I have in the past offered to help out - and mind you I'm
no newbie - I have over 20 years of experience as a Linux sysadmin
(the last 14 helping with a 400-machine datacenter in the media
industry pushing over 4Gbit/s), more than 5 years experience running
Asterisk PBX's, and over 25 years as a ham - and has anyone ever taken
me up on that offer?  NO!

> I have heard many grumblings of the things that have happened to little to no people willing to step forward to try and help. What I will say about this mess is I have seen Bryan put forward considerable time, effort, money and equipment to keep this project alive. As for all the assertions of what they did or he did or whatever, I cannot confirm or deny any of that but I have witnessed Bryan doing something, unlike many of those who sit back and complain with their keyboards. Criticism should be respectful and those who complain should put forward some effort into resolving those complaints in some form or another.

I'd love to, but see above - offers to help are met with silence.  And
it's not as if AllStarLink doesn't *need* help - I mean, for crying
out loud, they are distributing Asterisk 1.4.23!  That was released in
Jan 2009, over 10 years ago!  I'm relatively sure that something this
old is riddled with security holes - why are we still running this
way???!!!  I have to keep my systems behind a heavy firewall just to
mitigate this!

Jeremy, NQ0M