[App_rpt-users] ALSA sound device and GPIO TX on OrangePI.

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Tue Jan 8 18:32:55 UTC 2019

On 1/8/19 5:39 AM, Carl Makin wrote:
> I’ve just started looking at Allstar, or more specifically Asterisk and
> app_rpt as a possible way to link several repeaters in our area together.
>
> Our hardware guy wants to use the OrangePi Zero as each repeater node and
> I’ve got Asterisk installed via the Allstarlink repo as per the FAQ on the
> wiki and Asterisk is running (on Armbian Stretch).

It the Pi Zero likely doesn't have the CPU to run much, it's why it's not
suggested as hardware.

> The hardware guy also wants to use the onboard sound device on the OrangePI
> and GPIO pins to do tx/rx switching.  Reading through the somewhat
> confusing documentation leads me to think this might not be possible.  Is
> that the case?

The on board sound device it not suitable as it has filtering and noise for
this.  These are hardware issues with the audio chip in the broadcom CPU.  I'd
suggest you stick with a CM108/119 based device, RTCM/voter, or pciradio.
It's going to be fully supported and we will be able to help you.

Asterisk has a bunch of experimental code in it, and not all is intended for
production use.  That said, if you're wanting to get it from alpha to
production quantity, patches and pull requests are greatly appreciated.

73s
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice