[App_rpt-users] Lies, damn lies, and John David McGough

Brad Trogdon Brad at trogdon.org
Wed Jul 3 00:45:20 UTC 2019

Will respond to each point individually and will also post questions as
well.  Thanks for your engagement as this will help myself and other users
of AllStar distributions draw our own conclusions by being fully informed.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 6:03 PM Bryan Fields <Bryan at bryanfields.net> wrote:

> On 7/2/19 4:54 PM, Brad Trogdon wrote:
> > Bryan Fields,
> >
> > Not sure of your beef but from a users perspective having tried both
> > AllStar and HamVoIP groups and offerings I have to say hands down the
> > HamVoIP group contributes significantly more to the communities in the
> form
> > of product, updates and support.
>
> HamVoIP has contributed nothing to the AllStar community, but has stolen
> much
> from it.  HamVoIP has _no_ right to distribute the AllStar code and is
> engaged
> in criminal copyright infringement against this community.  This is
> trampling
> on the rights of every user and developer here; it's beyond reprehensible.

Please define AllStar community. Being a user of the HamVoIP distribution I
feel I am a member of the community but with an updated and feature rich
version.  To define stolen that means one would be deprived of use which I
don’t see occurring.

How are developers and users being negatively impacted?  I see nothing but
users and developers benefiting.

> Do you condone this?

>From my viewpoint as a user of well maintained and feature rich software,
yes.  I don’t see anyone being deprived.  I appreciate their hard work and
constant support to where I personally have donated when given the
opportunity.

> > I have witnessed support to folks whom are using the product in other
> than
> > Amateur applications as well.
>
> Please name and shame them.  Using John David/Inttek code certainly
> exposes a
> commercial entity to action of copyright infringement.  If it's knowingly
> using it, it's a crime.

Their are more than Amateur usage of this tool.  GMRS for example how would
that group be shamed?  Their are individuals whom use this for personal and
private networks in the Amateur community.  Is this not in the spirit of
the applications creator?

> > If the complaint were the first I would think that it’s an anomaly but
> > their is a significant number of users complaining about registration and
> > inability to connect to others.  Got that you have a tool but does the
> tool
> > provide feedback that is a benefit to those actually having issues
> > connecting to others.
>
> There's not a problem with it, no one is complaining, other than John David
> McGough.
>
> I beg to differ.  You should review the HamVoIP archives and you will see
> a steady stream of folks having issues that request and receive assistance
> in resolving  their nodes connectivity issues. Why are the folks asking
> others for assistance?  Could it be that they are not getting it elsewhere?

> I would work on fixing the problem Proactively and not flame others who
> are
> > providing a service to the community at large.
>
> What service is he providing?  What is he contributing if he's unable to
> abide
> by the basic tenets of the community?

I believe I have answered the question of service and contributions.  Not
sure whom created it but the SuperMon dashboard is a fantastic feature.
The HamVoIP provides tons of how-tos and white-papers. When you refer to
the “Community” are you referring to a small group that could be compared
to a HOA?  Again from my perspective they are providing assistance, support
and product to a global community and are being picked on by a group of
disgruntled HOA members.  I as a user have the option to choose. I
obviously chose an enhanced and feature rich version whom has a large
community that provides support and guidance.  The package is user friendly
to even those non Linux folks.  Heck I figured it out.

Not sure if you saw my follow-up post previously but your dashboard was
reporting a component of AllStar was offline (Down)

-Brad