[App_rpt-users] How to turn on AllStar ID Requirements

Brett Friermood brett.friermood at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 00:34:18 UTC 2013

As with some other things, this boils down to definitions. Since we are
talking legalities under the FCC rules, we need to use the FCC's
definitions, even if we, the greater amateur community, call something by a
different name.

Both beaconing and transmitting information bulletins are legal, but both
are used differently, have different results, and have different applicable
rules. Use the appropriate definition when determining the legality of
your, or another's, station.

This same drawn out argument could occur when someone "broadcasts" a
message to a group of amateurs. As written that would be illegal because of
the use of the word "broadcast" which according to the FCC is transmitting
information to the general public, something we are not allowed to do.
Meanwhile what is really happening is that station sent an information
bulletin, even though almost no one would call it that.

Brett KQ9N